What Makes Something a Real Final Fantasy to You?

Herok

OTmate
Sep 12, 2020
FF XVI was announced today and as always people are mixed on what makes a Final Fantasy game a Final Fantasy game. So I'm opening up the discussion to everyone. What are the defining elements of a Final Fantasy game in your opinion.

For me personally Final Fantasy is a series that is all about constantly changing while only sharing a very high level of lore. Beyond that I don't really have a preference because I feel every setting the series does has it's own advantages.

But I'm curious as to what everyone else's thoughts are on the matter because I see different opinions each time Final Fantasy is brought up anywhere.

G-bit

Shorts Wearing Youngster
OTmate
Sep 16, 2020
Bolivia (It ain't Mexico)
1st, be an RPG, none of that action style.
2nd, have Amano's dreamy designs.
3rd, rebel faction kicks the empire's ass.
4th, the empire is the least of your concerns when a cosmic entity wants to shit the planet.
5th, 3 women on the party. No more, no less. Protag one, hot one and jailbait one.
6th, an airship, I'dgaf of technical limitations.
7th, funny actics. Don't shy from being goofy.
8th, have a colorful designs for the cast. XII is too brown and XV too black.
9th, Nomura be chained to art direction and no influence into the story besides suggestions.
10th, be single player.

Ya you know I have a lot of rules for Final Fantasy, I'd write more but I don't think Final Fantasy will ever be great again for me huehuehuehuehuheuheuehuehueuheuheuheuhe so whatevs.

Redo ♠ ♝

Shorts Wearing Youngster
OTmate
Sep 16, 2020
I wouldn't say what makes it a "real" final fantasy. they're all real, but some of them are great enough for accomplishing 3, simple things:
1. A good gameplay system, which means great exploration(even if it means to be extremely simple, like walking on a 2d plain, or go full open-world, as long as it works well enough), and balanced battle system.
2. An interesting setting, where the characters are important and the story is understandable.
3. Innovation. Make it become ahead of it's time, and anything that makes it very memorable and inspiring.

I'd say the best FF games are those that accomplish all the 3, but which one is better than the other, is just my personal taste.

karmacoma

Shorts Wearing Youngster
Sep 16, 2020
Santa
I don't know that I have a specific idea of what a "real" Final Fantasy is. Toss in chocobos, black mages and a dude named Cid somewhere and you can do whatever you want with the franchise.

Reactions: AtelierTohka

G-bit

Shorts Wearing Youngster
OTmate
Sep 16, 2020
After watching FFIV's intro, I know what is necessary on a Final Fantasy for me, a journey!

Idgaf about kingdoms, politics and wars, I wanna go on a journey my dude.

Herok

OTmate
Sep 12, 2020
1st, be an RPG, none of that action style.
2nd, have Amano's dreamy designs.
3rd, rebel faction kicks the empire's ass.
4th, the empire is the least of your concerns when a cosmic entity wants to shit the planet.
5th, 3 women on the party. No more, no less. Protag one, hot one and jailbait one.
6th, an airship, I'dgaf of technical limitations.
7th, funny actics. Don't shy from being goofy.
8th, have a colorful designs for the cast. XII is too brown and XV too black.
9th, Nomura be chained to art direction and no influence into the story besides suggestions.
10th, be single player.

Ya you know I have a lot of rules for Final Fantasy, I'd write more but I don't think Final Fantasy will ever be great again for me huehuehuehuehuheuheuehuehueuheuheuheuhe so whatevs.
You know by your rules that the first 3 games in the franchise don't count right? Heck if I'm being super pedantic I don't think any of the mainline games fit all of those rules and I just find that kinda of funny. Like the closet games to including all of them would be 7 or 9 if we're looking at everything...

I wouldn't say what makes it a "real" final fantasy. they're all real, but some of them are great enough for accomplishing 3, simple things:
1. A good gameplay system, which means great exploration(even if it means to be extremely simple, like walking on a 2d plain, or go full open-world, as long as it works well enough), and balanced battle system.
2. An interesting setting, where the characters are important and the story is understandable.
3. Innovation. Make it become ahead of it's time, and anything that makes it very memorable and inspiring.

I'd say the best FF games are those that accomplish all the 3, but which one is better than the other, is just my personal taste.
I argue that every mainline game in the franchise after 4 accomplishes all of those things if you are looking in the context of their times. All the games have strengths and weaknesses as well as their own fans.

I don't know that I have a specific idea of what a "real" Final Fantasy is. Toss in chocobos, black mages and a dude named Cid somewhere and you can do whatever you want with the franchise.
More or less my personal thoughts on the matter.

After watching FFIV's intro, I know what is necessary on a Final Fantasy for me, a journey!

Idgaf about kingdoms, politics and wars, I wanna go on a journey my dude.
Would argue that any of the mainline games aren't that because they're all journeys, I can't think of single one that isn't.

Reactions: karmacoma

G-bit

Shorts Wearing Youngster
OTmate
Sep 16, 2020
You know by your rules that the first 3 games in the franchise don't count right? Heck if I'm being super pedantic I don't think any of the mainline games fit all of those rules and I just find that kinda of funny. Like the closet games to including all of them would be 7 or 9 if we're looking at everything...
Not all of them apply but the series has evolved and adapted tropes from those 3 as base, Final Fantasy II introduced the fight among the empire and the rebels, a theme prevalent in IV VI VII VIII IX X XII XIII and XV, that's a good majority. IV introduced a larger party and introduced the 3 women on group trope which was a thing from IV to XIII then XV shat the bed.

Perhaps I should edit the Nomura rule and add Amano in the artstyle aspect because yeah, in the pre PS era Amano's artstyle was prevalent and then Nomura was added into the mix bar a few games such as IX and XII and guess what, Im not too crazy about those two.

Yeah, I'll take your word and say you do sound pedantic lol.

G-bit

Shorts Wearing Youngster
OTmate
Sep 16, 2020
Would argue that any of the mainline games aren't that because they're all journeys, I can't think of single one that isn't.
Watch XVI's trailer again.

You seem like you're seeking to fight/"correct" people so I'll just drop it here.

Last edited:

capnstubing

Shorts Wearing Youngster
Sep 16, 2020
Whatever Square-Enix packages and sells as a Final Fantasy. If it's trash, I'll play it, call it trash, play it about 10 more times, continue to call it trash, and so on and so forth. If it's good then I'll sing its praises and play it about 10 times. MMO, weird spin-offs, future tech, medieval....doesn't matter to me as long as it's good food. I'm assuming 'what makes a Final Fantasy good to me' is a topic for another discussion.

Sep 16, 2020
Hopefully, somewhere safe.
To me, my perfect Final Fantasy is one that are slow, methodical but also an absolute epic journey full of action, comedy, tragedy, love, hate, overcoming flaws and personal demons, meaningful reasons for an unlikely party to stick together, larger-than-life villains and defying fate.

The best kind of locations in Final Fantasy games are usually dense citadels full of people to talk or at least visually striking locations that unique shapes and wild colour pallets, putting emphasis that we're inside the mind of someone's fantasy as if it were to be... final. If the locations were to be more grounded in reality, it should still be as beautiful as possible, even if it's empty and ominous or low and gritty. Midgar, Alexandria, Lindblum, Zanarkand, Archades, Bodhum, Palumpolum, Eden, Academia, Luxerion, Altissia and, last but not least, Insomnia (when the city lights up the night sky). Worlds like these are a reason why I love art.

If we're ideal gameplay, perhaps turn-based combat uses the battlefield as a part of the fight e.g. Shoot the explosive tanker beside the enemy, throw the enemy onto the ceiling, take over from taking damage, use elemental magic to your advantage like ice or thunder while enemies are in water and so on, so forth. While summons would be essential, dynamic team combos like a chain-Limit-Break would be awesome along with shifting between classes on the fly when the fight gets tougher. For exploration, the overworld map with the character being bigger than the locations from I to IX is perfect and cost-effective than making the entire world big. Miles of grassy fields isn't really enough to get make engaged.

No composer is better than the rest because they're all perfect in their own way. Uematu's epic scores, Shimomura's work with the piano, Hamauzu's atmospheric electronics, it all depends on location, characters and theme. Maybe I lean more towards Hamauzu but that's because his music fits more trippy imagery.

Graphics? Make sure there's some floating crystals, the big ones in their crystal rooms and small shards floating in the air.

Gotta have gunblades, pretty boys, pretty girls, pretty everything else, libraries, magitek, airships, chocobo, Gilgamesh, B&B rooms to sleep in, Tetra Master, the awesome final boss designs and the main menu and cover art must have minimalistic white backgrounds like in the PS1 and PS2 days. Why is American cover art so ugly compared to European covers?

I want to my ideal Final Fantasy more coherently but that would take too long and I can't stay up all night.

Reactions: G-bit